Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back from the holidays

How's your 2009 going so far?

Good, I hope. V and I have just barely recovered from being on the go since Dec. 22. Drove to Oceanside to spend Christmas there with my family. Drove back up to Monterey on the 26th so they can spend the weekend here. Said goodbye to my family on the 28th, leaving just enough time to pack and catch our 6 AM flight to Wisconsin the next day.

Spent New Year's with V's family in Stevens Point, with a day trip to Madison squeezed in. Flew back on the 4th, arriving at home well past midnight, sans one piece of checked bag. Spent yesterday unpacking, doing laundry, and playing with Briscoe. Today, it was naps, and chores, more laundry, and dealing with things around the house that are suddenly breaking.

Is something up? Our overpriced plasma TV konked out a few days before we left for Oceanside. Then the printer decided throw out a bunch of "cartridge errors," despite the nearly new cartridges. Then yesterday, as I was cleaning up my dog's accident in my office (in a momentary lapse of reason, I gave her half a can of tuna with her dog food), the brushes on the steam carpet cleaner stop turning.

Now I have to figure out if it is worth it to get any of these items fixed, or if buying new ones is more efficient.

On another note, the holidays were fun, albeit tiring. My sibs and I, along with V and my good friend Ameetess, got happy on a few bottles of wine and beer on Christmas eve. Childhood stories were told, along with many others which had us grabbing our stomachs in laughter. The weekend in Monterey was more low-key, spent walking on the wharf, filling up on seafood, and driving the picturesque 17-Mile Drive. We also spent the day with an aunt I haven't seen in years, who drove down from Hayward for the day.

In Stevens Point, V & I did the rounds of visiting his relatives. On New Year's eve, we caught up with aunts and uncles over lasagna and, for me particularly, multiple slices of red velvet cake. Watched the ball drop in Times Sqaure while sitting in a country bar, with V's brother Seth, his old friend Corey, and a bottle of the local brew. On the 2nd, V, Seth and I spent the day in Madison, visiting the "Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired" Monona Terrace, the state capitol building, and the dearly missed Outback Steakhouse where we introduced Seth to the wonders of the Bloomin' Onion.

More importantly, V got to say a final goodbye to the 128-year old farmhouse that was home to his granparents and dad. He walked the rooms, the barn, climbed up the hayloft, peeked into the chicken coop, and spent time with his grandma remembering the years he spent growing up in that farm. I took pictures until my hands hurt from the cold.

To top it off, I got my Marimekko wall hanging and my Gorillapod, and Briscoe got a snazzy new collar from the in-laws.

All things considered, it was satisfying holiday spent with family and friends. Laundry, repairs and the rest of our real lives aside, we recognize that we have been blessed and are ever thankful.

Best wishes to all in 2009.

2 comments:

  1. Tuna dogfood? Might try Bismuth Subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol) and contact your local vet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you give dogs Pepto? I was just going to check on that. My dog got over the tuna fiasco just fine. But her tummy is acting up again, this time, for no reason that is apparent to me.

    ReplyDelete