Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fundraising season

The other day, I received in the mail a fundraising letter from my godson, Darren. Something to do with raising money to buy computers for school (that's the L.A. Unified School District for you). Instead of selling cookies or other knickknacks (so far, I've purchased gift wrapping paper, Christmas cards, chocolate covered raisins and pretzels from neighborhood kids for various school fundraisers), my godson is selling magazine subscriptions. He gets a credit for each subscription that he sells. As an incentive, if I buy two subscriptions, he gets a glow-in-the-dark Scooby Doo t-shirt as well.

The list of available magazines is long, and the prices a little elevated. And since I already have subscriptions for the ones I really want (Budget Travel, Domino, Real Simple), I can perhaps indulge in others that I'm just sorta interested in.

I was looking at Architectural Digest as my top contender. The mag is an established one, well respected, and for some, the bible on interior design and style. Remember when AD was doing a feature on Charlotte's Upper East Side apartment in Sex and the City?

While perusing some articles online, I saw that November's issue has a feature on writers and their homes. See if you think the author's writing style matches up with their taste in interior design.

Rudyard Kipling's (The Jungle Book) study in England exudes old world country charm. Seems like a cozy spot to curl up with one of his many books, though those chairs could get uncomfortable after a while.

My least favorite space of the lot is Terry McMillan's (Waiting to Exhale) house in NoCal. Something very bar-like about it. And I hate all the chairs.

The quintessential New York apartment of Neil Simon (Lost in Yonkers). Clean, contemporary, with a gallery-like quality.

Michail Crichton's (Jurassic Park) 100-year-old house in New Jersey. Love the mid-century modern touch. I'll take those Eames chairs any day, but it seems every one and their mother has a Noguchi table these days, so I'll pass on that.

Not quite The House of the Spirits, but Isabelle Allende's Bay Area home looks like Allende to me.

So order no. 1 looks like Architectural Digest. What else should I get?

Photos: ArchitecturalDigest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment