Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dreaming of a Manila Christmas

I'm dreaming of a Christmas spent in the Philippines. The last Christmas I spent *home* was in 1997. Going back now, I know that the experience won't be quite the same. Most of my family is here, scattered all over the US and Canada. Same with friends. But I'm looking forward to a new kind of Philippine Christmas, spent with the hubby, and maybe (just maybe) kids later (much, much later) on.

Christmas time is the prime season for balikbayans visiting the Philippines. For most of us who have not been there in a while, we yearn for the old, while searching for the new.

For me, the old means hanging out in Los Banos, visiting my lolo's grave in Loyola, driving along Katipunan perhaps, breakfast at Pancake House, a weekend in El Paradiso (the private beach of family friends), and so on.

The new, well, I would need help with that. Cecile of Chuvaness suggests, among other things, checking out the Salcedo Market on Saturdays, a meal at Antonio's Garden in Tagaytay, and shopping at a Team Manila lifestyle store. See her full Balikbayan Guide here.

What are your Manila/Philippines musts?

No comments:

Post a Comment