Thursday, December 11, 2008

What not to give

If you're like me, you are still in the process of getting your Christmas gift shopping done. And at some point over the last few weeks, you've probably asked yourself what on earth else you can give your dad, or your co-worker, or the mailman, that he/she hasn't gotten yet.

I don't have any answers for that question (I'm resorting to getting underwear to family members, for crying out loud!) But this list tells you what to definitely avoid.

I've given magazine subscriptions, and I know for a fact that they were appreciated. I've received them too, and liked them (Thanks, Sonia!). It can work, if you are thoughtful enough about your selection.

Other things on the list seem obvious: don't give your old things; an I.O.U. is just tacky; and who would ever want a singing fish (wait, we had one!)?

But this caught my attention:

8. A dusty tin full of edible stuff

This is not a tin of just anything—everyone loves getting homemade cookies or candies or a favorite cake and holiday tins are great for storage. I'm talking about when you're in the dollar store and you see some extra-dusty tins on the bottom shelf filled with, say, those chocolate turtles. And you have no idea how long they've been there, or if what's inside is even edible. But you buy a couple anyway because you're desperate for a few last minute gifts. And the person you give it to opens it and the chocolate-whatever inside is stale and the candy breaks their tooth.

While at the local dollar store yesterday afternoon (where else can you score rolls of wrapping paper and bags of ribbons and bows for a buck each?!), I spotted a middle-age looking guy filling his basket with Christmas-y mugs stuffed with what looked like peppermint candy. He was pulling them from deep within the bottom shelf of the Christmas food aisle, just as entry no. 8 warned above! The man was in front of me at the check out counter, so I know that he paid all of seven dollars and change for what I imagine to be his gifts to his co-workers or maybe his employees (or his secret enemies?).

The kicker is that as I was about to get into my car and drive off, I see who else but the dusty Christmas mug guy climbing into a shiny Porsche Cayenne. I guess he has to make up for his car payments somehow.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment