Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Spreading warmth, one cup of cocoa at a time...

Updated: 12/15/08
The finished product.


I must admit that I'm not always the best neighbor. I don't hang out in front of my house, having conversations with whoever might be passing by. I haven't attended a single homeowners' association meeting. I've never had coffee or tea with any of the other wives on my street. And I've never invited any of my neighbors into my house just to hang out.

That said, I wave when I see anyone on the street as I drive by. I say hi to anyone within earshot when I go to walk my dog. And if anyone ever knocks on my door asking to borrow some eggs or a cup of sugar, I'd be happy to help.

But since it is Christmas, it might be time to do a little something extra. Thus my Christmas neighborhood gift idea.

Initially, I thought a tin of baked goods should do it. After poring over recipes in cookbooks and online, after two trial runs (of a cookie and muffin recipe), I copped out and choose the easy route. For me, that means no baking at all.

I found this recipe for a hot cocoa mix on Food Network's web site, from one of my favorite FN stars, Alton Brown. It's super easy. Just mix all the dry ingredients, pack, and deliver. To make the mix a bit more special, I got good quality cocoa powder, organic too.


The recipe calls for a pinch of cayenne pepper. Don't be afraid though. It doesn't make the cocoa spicy, just adds a lingering heat to in your throat after a few gulps. Really nice actually.


It's very important to mix everything well, lest one gets a whole chunk of salt or cornstarch in one spoonful. Sifting helps too in working out the clumps.

To make the hot cocoa, just mix how at least two teaspoons (more if you like it rich) with hot water or warm milk.


Pack in jars.
Ready for delivery!

Full hot cocoa recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment